In the final report on the Entrepreneurship Initiative published in 2008, it was established that, being aware of the important role that education plays in promoting entrepreneurial attitudes and behaviors, it must be considered that the entrepreneurial initiative is “a key competence for all, which it helps young people to be more creative and to have more confidence in themselves in whatever activity they undertake”(European Commission, 2008: 4).
Also, the need to promote and implement entrepreneurship education that begins with the implementation of training programs aimed at society in general and future teachers in particular is sufficiently justified. At the end of the day, these will be important reference models for the new generations of citizens of a society in constant change that demands competent people and professionals capable of giving answers, in an innovative way, to the different challenges.
Digital Entrepreneurship: Innovative Teacher Training (Digital Teacherpreneur) is a strategic association in the field of professional training in support of innovation that aims to develop, cooperate, transfer and implement innovative practices to improve the profile of skills and competences in teachers related to entrepreneurship, especially, towards Digital entrepreneurship.
The Commission published in 2014 the Entrepreneurship Education Guide: Educator’s Guide. It recognizes the importance of the role that the teacher plays in the development of the entrepreneurial attitude of their students, not in vain, they are considered learning facilitators and multipliers of ideas, who can shape the learning processes of students and help them to achieve the development of skills related to entrepreneurship.
At this point, Digital Teacherpreneur aims to equip teachers with a wide range of skills related to creativity and entrepreneurship. The project assumes the Commission’s maxim that says “every teacher and future teacher must have access during their career to a training experience in key topics and methods related to entrepreneurial learning and entrepreneurship education.”
The choice of each of the priorities responds to the overall strategy of the project to promote initial training and permanent professional development (PPD) of teachers in the field of digital entrepreneurship, through new innovative learning methods.
Within this general approach, Digital Teacherpreneur addresses the following lines of work:
- The achievement of mentality, skills and competences in teachers of secondary schools and VET, especially the project will focus on the competences and capacities of Digital entrepreneurship. Teachers and educators must also have the opportunity to acquire the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to integrate entrepreneurship education and enable entrepreneurial learning.
- To develop through new innovative learning models, the initial and continuous professional development of teachers, favoring the following skills in teachers:
- Entrepreneurial skills: The teacher can identify and take advantage of opportunities; make network; organize and plan activities; come up with a plan; take decisions; make use of experience; try to create value and quality; take responsibility for an activity; Take risks; create new ideas; present ideas and products and support the development of project management skills.
- Personal Competences: The teacher is capable of managing conflicts, cooperating in teams, communicating, supporting the development of ideas, identifying strengths and abilities, handling errors, creating ideas to solve problems, raising and discussing.
- Didactic competences: The teacher can define competences for entrepreneurship education, organize learning activities in entrepreneurship, motivate students, create continuous support for the development of competencies, optimize the use of resources and configure inclusive learning environments.
The final objective of the project, with the adoption of new innovative learning methods is to facilitate the change of the teacher’s functions, going from being a mere provider or transmitter of knowledge to becoming a facilitator of learning, especially in digital entrepreneurship.
Execution period 24 months
Project end: September 30, 2021